Friday, September 26, 2014

Holiday Weekend | #art

I am not a modern art-lover. That was reaffirmed that when I toured the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art, which is housed in a beautiful building in the City Center. I see it every day on my walk to school. It's only two blocks off my trek, so I took time Monday afternoon to browse. The building is amazing , and there is a cool statue out front, nicknamed "The Duke" (see picture). 


The Gallery of Modern Art, and "The Duke"





Yes, that is a traffic cone on his head. 

No, it is not photoshopped.

Click here to learn about conehead







Out of the three floors of modern art exhibits, I found little to interest me. It all seemed experimental; there were no traditional paintings or sculptures. It's not that the artists didn't have talent, it's just that the style doesn't appeal to me. I actually enjoyed looking at the building more than what was on the inside.

What is awesome, though, is that Glasgow's museums are free-of-charge. There is a donation booth, but there is no obligation. I have personally toured three different museums, and none of them charged. It's a great celebration of history and culture, I think.

Yesterday, I got to take a bus ride! I went on the City Sightseeing Tour Bus. My friend Stephanie (shoutout!) got me on for free, because her boyfriend is one of the drivers. If you ever read this Ryan, you did a great job! I got to enjoy the city from an open-topped double-decker bus (say that five times fast) with a live narrator telling us everything about the city for two hours. We went through downtown and into the West End, then back again. It was a great trip!


I am from the big city.
The subway has been a great help when I visit distant areas of the city, like I did today (visiting Kelvingrove and the University of Glasgow). For everyday travel, though, I have just been walking, which is unusual to me. Being from Jacksonville, I'm used to driving everywhere. At first, it was tiresome - my legs complained for two weeks. But I have gotten used to it now. I have walked through over half the city already, and I want to travel pretty much all of it before I leave.

And it certainly is cheaper than driving! Fuel = $9 a gallon


This weekend is a holiday for me; yesterday was my first day off and I don't go back to school until Tuesday. Lots still I would like to do in the city and nearby areas. It has been difficult lately, being away from my family and friends, but God has been helping me through. (Shoutout to my awesome grandmother, who sent me the care package across the Atlantic!)

So until next time, God bless,
Zacchari


P.S. When in Glasgow, talk like the Weegies! Use Glesga banter!

Haud yer wheesht!
Aye, bu I cannae be asked.
How no?
Geez a sho' uh ya pen?
Gonnie, no!
  etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment