Monday, September 8, 2014

New Week, New Stories

Salt Market Clocktower
Hello from Glasgow! The sun finally came through the clouds yesterday, and it's lovely and crisp outside. 

I'm sitting in One Errol Gardens, a little café across the street from my dorms. It serves as the front for One Errol Church of Scotland. I came over for service yesterday morning. What a great experience! It was more traditional than I was accustom to, but the small congregation were very friendly and genuine. The pastor also gave me permission to come over and play on their piano keyboard whenever they are not having meetings. That is one thing I have really missed being here, playing the piano.

Speaking of things I miss, I cannot wait for tomorrow; it will be my first opportunity to play basketball since I came. Tuesdays and Thursdays, the City of Glasgow College (CoGC) sports club hosts a pickup basketball game at the City Campus. But this Thursday, I have to attend a black-tie dinner - it's cutting into my basketball time...

This area of town around my dorms is known as "Gorbals". The locals tell me it used to be a slum. Over the years, however, the city has invested money into rebuilding it. It worked - it is a comfortable place to be, even at night. Behind this church is a shopping strip, with a grocery store, library and pharmacy.

Friday, I started my first class. I was surprised how similar it was to classes at home. Twenty kids listening to the professor, asking questions and cracking jokes. I was a mini-celebrity for the beginning of class, when I explained why I was here. One girl said "Aye, I want to go to the States." Her friends laughed. "I do!" she said, "I wanna go to Disney Land!"

(I don't think many people here understand what 100 degrees F really feels like. The record high in Glasgow is 88 F, so I try not to laugh when my classmates say, "Yea, summers are hot here in Glasgow too!")

This trip has been amazing so far, and it has only been a week! Thanks everyone at home for your support and love, it means so much to me!

God bless,
Zacchari

#jutocogc

No comments:

Post a Comment