Friday, September 5, 2014

George's Square (IS Journal)

This is a journal entry I wrote for my International Studies class.


George's Square

Early Monday morning, Steven picked me up from the Glasgow airport after I landed in the United Kingdom for the first time in my life. Though he stood holding a sign with my name, he recognized my face quickly from the picture I sent him the day before. I was greeted with a warm smile and a handshake. Steven is a very friendly man, like most Glaswegians, and speaks with a distinct Scottish accent. Over the past two days, he has been my tour guide, college advisor, mentor, and Scottish history teacher. In his words and mine, he is “The Man.” Though he is older than I am, we have become fast friends.
Those first few hours were a special experience in my life; it took most of the morning to set in that I was really in a foreign country. Perhaps it was the jet lag, but everything had a mystical quality to it. As we went toward the city, I noticed that everyone drives extremely fast on the highways – few people traveled below than eighty miles per hour. As we entered the “town” (Scottish slang for downtown), I got my first glimpses of the historical buildings that make the UK famous.
On Tuesday, I got a chance to tour the Glasgow city center more thoroughly. Steven and I left the City Campus of City of Glasgow College (CoGC), and walked two blocks into the shopping district. On the way back, we walked roundabout and went through George's Square. It is the most famous landmark in Glasgow, according to Steven. I am not sure who it takes its name from; I will be sure to ask Steven tomorrow. It is a large paved area with a column in its center, a war memorial on one end, and statues on the other three ends. Along the edges of the square are enough benches to seat probably three hundred people, and at lunchtime today, they were all full of both Glaswegians and tourists. The three statues also have lips around the base that people also enjoy as seats.
The square was the first landmark Steven pointed out to me on Tuesday, and the first one I remember from when I came into the city yesterday. After Steven returned to the Town Head building in City Campus, I came back to George's Square and ate lunch.
I enjoyed a baguette sandwich from a neat place called Greggs. It bordered the Square. It is not exactly a restaurant; everything is pre-made and prepackaged, but it is cheap. Locals call any item from the place a “Greggs” – “What did you have for lunch?” “I had a Greggs,” or “Want to go into town and get a Greggs?” Apparently some of the CoGC staff had a laugh when they heard I had a Greggs for lunch. It was very good, but at three pounds, (about six dollars), it was not a lot of food for the price in an American context.
In all, I thoroughly enjoyed my first few days. I already love the people here, the atmosphere of friendship and acceptance. Though there are peculiarities, as with any community, I can already see myself returning to Glasgow in the future. I cannot help but love this place.

God bless,
Zacchari Gale

#jutocogc


No comments:

Post a Comment